Nowadays, the blogger profession cannot be underestimated. Many writers are successful thanks to their series of posts. In fact, there are many bloggers who make hundreds of millions of rupiah at the moment.
If you are interested in blogging activities, but are confused about where to start, or haven’t made money since your first blog post, then we don’t hesitate to share the key to blogging that can benefit and guide you slowly but surely.
Must Read: Newbie Bloggers/Amateur Bloggers Mistakes
How To Make A Blog That Makes Money:
- Create useful content
- Determine the ideal reader
- Build relationships with readers
- Make money from your blog
- Understanding SEO
- Create a Blog on WordPress
Are we ready? Creating a blog that makes money is not difficult. Usually, the obstacle to getting started is our own reasons like, “Oh I am technology, I don’t have many ideas, I’m not creative, many technical terms are difficult to understand, what people will say later, or I don’t have time”. Throw away such thoughts and take the first step first.
How to create a blog?
When you first start, you need to choose a blog platform that will load content on the website. The free platform that we recommend for beginners is WordPress.com. Why WordPress? Because:
- Easy to use (friendly user interface)
- Free use (Only need to pay for the domain and hosting)
- Trusted because it is equipped with a security system
- Blogs can be personalized with various themes and layouts.
- The second step is to determine the domain name and hosting. Each blog must have its own domain address. Be creative in choosing a name that will be used to attract readers, but still relevant to the content of the blog that you are presenting.
- Blog configuration. Maybe you will be confused when seeing the dashboard page the first time. No need to worry, for now, we will provide a basic tutorial for operating the WordPress platform. Step by step guide will be given at the end of this article.
- The nice thing about the blogging process is how you dress up your site to make it look attractive and stand out. Design and layout are elements that are no less important and must be considered. You can utilize tutorials on basic settings and theme selection.
But there is no need to rush to buy themes from outside sites that are made for bloggers. You can always enjoy the beautiful free layouts provided by WordPress. They provide a series of competitive and elegant layouts.
The reader must be thinking why not use Blogspot. Because Blogspot is very bad for building a blog that makes money. No problem if you want to make a blog as a hobby.
If you want to make a blog as your livelihood, always use WordPress. Blog on Blogspot is not yours. At any time your blog can be deleted by the Blogspot team if you break the rules. Domains that use Blogspot are not trusted by people.
In addition, Google does not like the existing Blogspot domain. You CANNOT get rank one on Google.
2. Create useful content
Have you ever analyzed why certain blogs have very high visitors and readerships while some other blogs don’t?
We don’t read a blog because the author is diligent in writing or because of the layouts and photos that sparkle (although that also affects). A blog becomes interesting because of the quality of the content it provides.
In what sense does the article weigh, inspire, entertain, help, educate, or give something to the reader.
You need quality content for visitors. (If you care about SEO, which we will discuss in point 6) Google’s latest algorithm tends to highlight quality and useful writing, not heavy keyword usage. Avoid keyword stuffing, count the number of keywords. The best way is to target one keyword phrase per page. As for the structure, each page must have different settings and titles.
Before you start writing, it is useful to consider the following:
Why do you care about the topic you want to post?
- Why does the reader have to listen to what you have to say?
- Is this a useful topic for readers?
To answer the question above, let’s think of a blog as a business and we must determine our target market (niche).
Is that the target market? Why do you need this?
Defining the target market or the reader is crucial. They will determine what topics you will discuss, what kind of writing you should use to attract attention, and communicate with them.
For example, if your blog is targeted at women, young professionals, working, single, like shopping and up-to-date, how you write will be very different when compared to female readers who are married, love to cook, have children, and do not work.
Though the 2 target readers above are still classified in the same gender!
But the key is always to return to creating content that is useful for readers. No need to get too hung up on your writing style if it makes you dizzy and doesn’t want to start.
If your posts can add value to the lives of others, of course, this will make subscribers like and most importantly, trust your blog.
The things above are very important if later you want to make money through blogs.
After a long explanation above but you are still confused about what to write?
If so, just start blogging about things you like, life experiences, and your hobbies in your spare time. No need to be frustrated when sharing your unique experience.
Indeed there may have been other blogs that have discussed it, but remember, there is nothing really original and new under this sky. Don’t think too much, just do it, take the first step.
3. Determine the ideal reader
As was discussed briefly in the previous point, after creating useful content, you will also spend a lot of time building a blog.
In building a good blog, you need a clear picture of who your target audience will be.
Think about the type of reader you want for your blog. After deciding on it, ask where this group of people gathered online.
- What site do they usually read?
- What forum did they visit?
- What Social Network Service (SNS) do they usually use?
- Which account did they follow on the SNS?
Every place your target readers visit, take the time to learn their ‘style’.
There must be a reason why readers like certain accounts, blogs or sites, maybe because the topics covered are unique, creative writing methods, neat layouts, and attractive photos.
After that, think about where your readers usually spend their time offline.
- Do they go to certain shopping centers, shop at certain stores? Enjoy a certain brand?
- Going to a certain country? Where do you work? What kind of friends are you meeting with?
- Eat at a particular restaurant? Go to a particular place of entertainment?
- Their hobby? How do they communicate?
By thinking about their lifestyle, habits, and interests, you can learn what topics might be of interest and benefit to your readers.
That way will facilitate yourself in writing and choosing material.
4. Build relationships with readers
When you find visitors start to arrive and enjoy the content that is served, this is where the focus must be changed to a further approach and build community.
Read the comments given by readers, it would be better if you respond. Take a more personal approach, do what needs to be done if you want the subscriber to keep coming back to your blog.
If you want to take extra steps, create a giveaway that allows the reader to receive a gift. You can create quizzes or give surveys and ask readers to fill in.
In return, they will be given interesting and useful prizes. This method is also good for giving a personal touch as well as getting important information from them about your site.
5. Make money from blogs
There are various income channels for a blog. For now let’s categorize income into 2 parts, namely direct income and indirect income.
5.1 Direct Revenue
Is income received directly into your account in accordance with the performance of ads posted on the blog.
5.2 Revenue through advertising
This is one of the easiest ways. Earning income this way resembles how newspapers and magazines sell their advertisements. You can start by placing Google AdSense ads and choosing the type of banner you want to display. Choose where the ad will appear and the type of ad that suits your site.
5.3 Revenue through affiliation
One popular way that is popular with the crowd. The inclusion of affiliates means that you add an external link to your blog. These links can be banners, images, product links, e-mail links, or words.
Choose some of your favorite famous brands, visit the website. Often big brands have good affiliation systems. Learn about their affiliation systems. Every big name has different terms and conditions.
Send an email to why you want to become an affiliate partner and usually, they will contact you in a matter of days!
If someone follows or clicks on your link and even buys a product in one visit, you will get a commission from the sale.
This is an easy way to monetize a site because the affiliate program is not very difficult.
5.3 Revenue through endorsement
If there are brands and companies that are interested in your site, they will usually approach and send you an email about how they want to work together.
In the general case, the company will give you a product and in return, they will pay you a certain amount which will certainly be discussed before an agreement is made.
After that, you will be willing to promote their products or services on your site.
But waiting for the ball will be very long and boring. You can always pick the ball yourself. Approach and contact several companies that you enjoy and tell me why you want to work with them and why you deserve consideration.
5.4 Revenue through events
This option is still relatively rarely implemented, especially for indie bloggers or beginners. But it is undeniable that this is also one good way to make extra money.
If your site already has a lot of loyal followers and readers, no need to hesitate to hold a fan meeting and meet and greet. The size of the event varies, from small meetings to large blogger conferences.
The money generated can be from ticket payments by readers who attend or find sponsors for events.
5.5 Continuity program
Another category for bloggers’ income is through a continuity program or what is commonly called a membership program. Readers pay a certain amount of money regularly, usually monthly or annually, to get access to premium content, community areas, certain services, training, or a combination of these.
5.6 Services and services
Through offering services to readers in the form of training, consulting, writing, design, or other freelance services, you can get additional income as well.
Not a few famous bloggers who reap their main income from selling books. Indeed, products like this take time to prepare, but in the long run, it is very profitable.
The products offered can take many forms, not only in the form of e-books but can also be in the form of products such as software, reports, and others.
Other types of products offered can be physical goods. This means it’s very natural if you have a business or product to sell.
5.8 Other income streams
Nowadays, there are many bloggers who make money from requests for donations or syndication of content to other sites.
You can open a Patreon account that allows your followers to voluntarily contribute funds. In the general case, most of them donate with nominal which is fantastic!
Varying your income speeds up your journey to becoming a full-time blogger.
6. Basic understanding of SEO
As bloggers who want to succeed in the long run, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a term we must understand. SEO techniques must be mastered to get good rankings in search engines.
When you need information from the internet, the tools to look for that you use are Google, Bing, and so on. Both of these websites are search engines.
The search engine ranks search results not randomly but based on the level of relevance and quality of the website.
Billions of people from all over the world look for information using search engines.
Search engines can bring many people to your website. These search engines send visitors with high quality. If you sell products/services on a website, then people from search engines will most likely buy.
If you want to generate profits through your site, SEO techniques in marketing strategies need to be considered.
There are tools such as Google Analytics, Google Adwords, and Google Webmaster tools that can be optimized.
- Google Analytics will play a major role in tracking and analyzing how visitors interact with your site. Because it is free and intuitive, it becomes a mandatory menu for SEO campaigns. Besides creating an account and adding it to your site, you should read about the features offered.
- Google AdWords is very useful because it is related to SEO for keyword research capabilities. This powerful tool allows you to find out what users are looking for so you can meet their needs and wants.
- Google Webmaster Tools allows you to get the most out of SEO efforts by getting you to see your site through Google’s eyes. This toolset gives you a sharp insight into what the page does, where the links point to it, the keywords that work, and the aspects that need to be improved. Very useful for reading Google’s Webmaster Guidelines.
7. How to Create a Blog on WordPress
If you want to create a blog on WordPress, here is a simple step-by-step guide:
- Register for web hosting.
- Choose the hosting package.
- Choose a domain name for your blog.
- Complete your hosting registration.
- Install WordPress.
- Enter and write your first blog post.
None of these steps requires in-depth technical knowledge.
After your blog is active, you can immediately write and tend to change its appearance/function.
Buy hosting and your domain name
Making your blog accessible to people all over the world requires two things:
- Hosting – this is the engine that empowers your site. Even though you don’t “see” it, every website on the Internet has a host that supports it.
- Domain – this is like the permanent address of your blog.
You can buy hosting and your domain simultaneously – so don’t worry too much about the intricate details right now. But before you can do that, you must choose a WordPress host. Because of the popularity of WordPress, there are a large number of WordPress hosts.
We have personally tested the performance and reliability of this host. And after testing it, we recommend Bluehost to new WordPress bloggers.
Here’s the reason:
Affordable prices. You can host your site with a small coffee price every month – the price is only IDR 38,900 per month for your first 12 months at Niagahoster. There are even packages that are only Rp. 8,000 per month.
- You get a free domain name when registering. This is related to affordability – your own domain will cost IDR 150,000 for 1 year. Usually, domain purchases for 1 year are free for 1-year domains.
- You can easily install WordPress. With just a few clicks, you can launch WordPress software and have a functioning blog. No technical knowledge required!
- They have enough tools to get you started. When you are just starting out, Bluehost offers many performance tools to maintain your site’s loading.
All are complete, and it costs around Rp. 250,000 to host your blog on Niagahoster. all year long, including free domain names.
This is just an example, there are many hosting companies like Hostinger, Siteground.
That’s as cheap as you would get if you wanted to create a WordPress blog.
So above is a series of information to start a blog. What do you think? Will you make your first blog soon?
If you don’t like writing, you can also make a video alias talk, use youtube as your media.